Monday, June 14, 2021

Sharing the Post of a Dear Friend In Need of a Kidney

Sharing a post from one of my dear childhood friends who is in need of a kidney.   We lived on the same road and have shared so many wonderful times together!  I was in her wedding with another dear childhood friend we lost to cancer in our thirties.  I have since survived breast cancer.  After too many years living far apart,  Cindy Marrone Cortina and my niece Rachel Staub  and I had such fun and they were both so supportive and helpful when I received my Readers’ Favorite book award.  But our history as friends is so much deeper than that with our shared memories with our families and especially our parents. I’ll be praying for Cindy and please also pray and spread the word for her need by sharing this. Thank you!! ❤🙏

My friend Cindy Marrone Cortina ‘s personal post shared the following : 

I don’t post very often but today I’m asking for your help and prayers. This is very difficult, but I will get right to the point - I need a kidney and am reaching out in case anyone knows of someone that is interested in being a living donor. I have renal failure due to polycystic kidney disease, which caused my kidneys to be filled with cysts. I will be on dialysis soon and I’m terrified since dialysis is very hard on the body and can cause many additional serious health issues. Polycystic kidneys is a hereditary disease that caused me to lose several uncles, cousins, my brother and father - all while on dialysis. Since I am very healthy otherwise, a transplant is a very good option for me and will allow me to live a full life. I have had many wonderful friends/family step up to try to donate (without being asked) and unfortunately all were denied for various reasons. Needless to say, this has been an extremely emotional roller coaster for the last 6 months for all of us and I am so grateful to have these special people in my life. Donors cannot have had cancer, diabetes, kidney stones, un-treated high blood pressure or low kidney function. I am A+ but a match is not necessary. Donors are screened carefully and are not approved if there are any risks for them. All medical costs for the donor are paid by my health insurance. Donor surgery is done laparoscopically, so recovery is not long and donors go on to lead a full unaffected life. I am currently registered at Cleveland Clinic and Miami Transplant Institute (Jackson), but I’m only going to continue at Miami since they have a much bigger program. Attached is the link for the donor sign up - and also a link to the website for anyone that wants to learn more. I would really appreciate if you could spread the word and share this in case someone wants to donate. There are special people out there that will give the gift of a kidney to a stranger so please help me get the word out. I am grateful for any help you can provide.

No comments:

Post a Comment